Commendations and Complaints

How to Commend a Sheriff Employee

When you have experienced service from our department you feel is worthy of commendation, we would like to hear about it. At the bottom of this page is a link to a form you may fill out and submit to let our employee know that what he or she did is appreciated. Or, you may call the Sheriff’s Office at 360-417-2262. Please include all the details you can remember such as the employee's name, the date, time and the circumstances of the incident.

How Should You File a Complaint?

You should immediately bring your complaint to the attention of the Department by either requesting a supervisor at the scene of the incident or by calling the Sheriff’s non-emergency telephone number at 360-417-2459 (Option #1). A deputy’s supervisor will be notified of the complaint and you will be contacted as soon as possible.

During daytime hours, complaints may be directed to the Sheriff’s Office (360-417-2262). Or, at the bottom of this page is a form you may fill out and submit with your complaint. Include all details you remember, such as the employee's name, the date, time and circumstances of the incident.

How Will Your Complaint Be Investigated?

Once the complaint is received, it will be assigned to an investigator for fact-finding purposes. If the complaint can be handled by the field, the investigator will forward the complaint to the appropriate field supervisor.

If the complaint warrants more in-depth investigation your case will be assigned to an Inspector. During the investigation, you, the employee and all witnesses will be interviewed. Additionally, physical evidence will be examined and photographs taken, if applicable.

If the investigation reveals that the complaint is valid, appropriate action will be taken. Upon completion of the investigation, the investigator will send you a letter detailing the results of the investigation.

What if You Are Not Satisfied With the Results of the Investigation?

The Sheriff’s Office hopes that this will not happen. However, you may contact any of the following offices.

  • Sheriff Brian King’s Office 360-417-2262
  • Undersheriff Ron Cameron 360-417-2570
  • Chief Criminal Deputy Amy Bundy 360-417-2300
  • Chief Corrections Deputy Don Wenzl 360-417-2356
  • Chief Civil Deputy Elizabeth Waknitz 360-417-2393
  • Inspector Joshua Ley 360-417-2273

Responsibility: Ours and Yours

The Clallam County Sheriff’s Office takes all citizen complaints against our employees seriously. It is our responsibility to actively pursue investigations into employee misconduct. For this reason, you have the responsibility to ensure that your complaint is based on fact and that you have provided us with all of these facts to the best of your ability.

Per state law, RCW 9A.76.175, A person who knowingly makes a false or misleading material statement to a public servant is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. "Material statement" means a written or oral statement reasonably likely to be relied upon by a public servant in the discharge of his or her official powers or duties. 

If there are any questions, please contact the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office at 360-417-2262.

You can commend a Sheriff's employee or file a complaint online here.