What if I disagree with my property's assessed value?

Given the fact that we value thousands of properties each year and that our values are the basis for a tax, it is inevitable that there will be some disagreements. You may contact the assessor's office to review your valuation any time you have a question about your property value. Property owners can often settle disagreements at this level without filing a formal appeal. If you are not satisfied, you may file a written appeal with the Clallam County Board of Equalization located at the Clallam County Courthouse, 223 East 4th Street, Suite 18, Port Angeles, WA 98362. Appeal forms are available at both the Assessor's Office, the County Board of Equalization, and on both department's websites.

The completed petition must be filed by July 1 of the assessment year or within 30 days of the date the change of value notice was mailed. Your Valuation Change Notice will indicate a specific deadline date for appeal. The County Board of Equalization is appointed by the Commissioners to determine questions of market value. It does not consider taxes. Should you have more questions about the appeals process, you may call the Assessor's office at 360-417-2204 and request a Taxpayer's Guide to Appealing Property Assessments.

Show All Answers

1. What is market value?
2. What types of properties are assessed?
3. How is real property appraised?
4. How is personal property valued?
5. How often does Clallam County appraise property?
6. Do I have to let the county appraiser into my home or onto my property?
7. Why may assessed values change from year to year?
8. Who determines the amount of a property tax bill?
9. What is a property tax levy?
10. Why do property tax rates vary throughout the county?
11. How do I pay my property taxes?
12. What if I disagree with my property's assessed value?