The PNSPA has provided an estimate based on known firearm ownership indicating a potential population large enough to support a shooting range. The law enforcement and military communities are in need of this type of facility as well.
The numbers supplied by the PNSPA are as follows:
- Total National Rifle Association (NRA) members in Clallam (1,840) and Jefferson (666) Counties are 2,506 (2010 figures)
- Total hunting licenses issued in Clallam (4,697) and Jefferson (1,049) Counties are 5,746 (2010 figures)
- Concealed weapon permits (CWP) issued in Clallam ( 5,888) and Jefferson (2,192) Counties are 8,080 (2010 figures). The Clallam County total represents a 42% increase in permits issued compared to 2001 (4,137 CWPs issued in Clallam County in 2001.).
- 11 law enforcement agencies within the Clallam County that total over 4,000 shooters (number of individuals × number of annual visits × number of types of firearms) (2009 figures)
- Numerous private and youth shooting and archery clubs
There is no doubt that some cross-over occurs in the groups, but these numbers clearly indicate a large number of shooting enthusiasts live within Clallam County and neighboring Jefferson County.