Who can change a name?

This information explains the procedures for changing either your name or the name of your minor child or ward. In Washington State any person over 18 years of age can choose and use any name he or she wishes as long as the purpose of the change in the name is not to defraud another or for any illegal purpose. An example of defrauding another would be to change names to avoid paying bills, or other creditors, or to escape obligations such as child support. The process to change your name is simple and straightforward. The process to change the name of your minor child or ward is a bit more complicated.

Show All Answers

1. Who can change a name?
2. How do I obtain a court order to change my name?
3. How much does it cost to file for a name change?
4. What information do I need to include in the petition for a name change?